Evil Islands lost in astral
Hello,

I have played this game the original since I was 6 years old, its amazing and I have finished it several times during my life,

I already found evil islands expansion, lost in astral but unfortunately its only in Russian, can some one guide me to a translation or let me know how to translate it?

I don't mind translating the texts into English using translator but I don't know how to get the text from files, I will gladly release it to public after finishing it
Ответ
If I remember correctly, Lost in Astral is fan-made and is not an official expansion.

== Update ==

Because Nival approved it, I think it can be considered official then.
Ответ
IanTheWizard,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 06:21 Написал:If I remember correctly, Lost in Astral is fan-made and is not an official expansion.
[right][snapback]44091[/snapback][/right]

I guess Nival sponsored it, still is it possible to translate it?
Ответ
Usam,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 11:23 Написал:I guess Nival sponsored it, still is it possible to translate it?
[right][snapback]44092[/snapback][/right]

I believe an experienced game developer is able to do that.

Many years ago, I tried translating it by using a hex editor, and that did not work.
Ответ
IanTheWizard,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 06:26 Написал:I believe an experienced game developer is able to do that.

Many years ago, I tried translating it by using a hex editor, and that did not work.
[right][snapback]44093[/snapback][/right]

I found this text editor for EI but I don't get it, How I am supposed to work this thing? it contains RES files but instructions are unclear

Добавил: Usam [mergetime]1564459825[/mergetime]
IanTheWizard,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 06:26 Написал:I believe an experienced game developer is able to do that.

[right][snapback]44093[/snapback][/right]

It seems I can't post links in here because I am new, Can I PM you the file?
Ответ
Usam,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 12:10 Написал:It seems I can't post links in here because I am new, Can I PM you the file?
[right][snapback]44094[/snapback][/right]

The best way to understand the text editor is to ask for help in a specific subforum. I'm not an expert when it comes to these things. Sorry about that.
Ответ
IanTheWizard,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 07:16 Написал:The best way to understand the text editor is to ask for help in a specific subforum. I'm not an expert when it comes to these things. Sorry about that.
[right][snapback]44095[/snapback][/right]

I don't want to sound stupid, but I clearly could do it myself, the problem is every thing in Russian of these programs and I barely understand it using translator.

Anyway Where should I ask in here? this is the only English section in the forum.

Thank you, I hope I am not bothering you.
Ответ
Usam,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 12:19 Написал:I don't want to sound stupid, but I clearly could do it myself, the problem is every thing in Russian of these programs and I barely understand it using translator.

Anyway Where should I ask in here? this is the only English section in the forum.
[right][snapback]44096[/snapback][/right]
Unfortunately, I don't understand Russian, too, so I can't advice.

Usam,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 12:19 Написал:Thank you, I hope I am not bothering you.
[right][snapback]44096[/snapback][/right]
It's definitely okay to me.
Ответ
To translate EI is used eipacker or resbuild. With them you unpacking .res text files and you have texts .txt . Texts except conversations can be copied from english version of normal EI, but conversations is need to translate manually.
EI FIA is in Russian and Polish versions
Ответ
Piter,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 11:50 Написал:To translate EI is used eipacker or resbuild.  With them you unpacking .res text files and you have texts .txt .  Texts except conversations can be copied from english version of normal EI, but conversations is need to translate manually.
[right][snapback]44098[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for helping out,

That's what I found out in the attachment, when I click on RunMe.bat it just opens ResBuild.exe which closes afterward quickly, What's wrong with it? also I see some texts.res are included in the archive, even when I drop them in either RunMe or ResBuild nothing is unpacked?!

Добавил: Usam [mergetime]1564510150[/mergetime]
Piter,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 11:50 Написал:To translate EI is used eipacker or resbuild.  With them you unpacking .res text files and you have texts .txt .  Texts except conversations can be copied from english version of normal EI, but conversations is need to translate manually.
[right][snapback]44098[/snapback][/right]

Nevermind I got it, there is a program called EIEdit in Russian that packs/unpacks texs.res file, I got it by dumb luck and installed Russian keyboard to windows detects the foreign language, now the hard work phew Tongue

Файлы вложений
.rar   briefed2_by_Sun.rar (Размер: 900.79 KB / Загрузок: 204)
Ответ
I will look into attachment.

In the meantime, you can try following approach:
  1. Goto http://svn.gipat.org/trac/EiEdit/wiki/Downloads and download EiEdit_1_8_2_13.exe
  2. Before install you have to change Windows language for non-unicode programs to "Russian (Russia)". (Otherwise you will have wrong characters instead of cyrillic. They should look the same as in my video.)
  3. Then try to follow the instruction that I've prepared for you: https://streamable.com/vzmm5
If you have any questions, please feel free to write here
Ответ
Looks like I've posted the previous answer too late.. :lol:

Usam,Вторник, 30 Июля 2019, 20:09 Написал:That's what I found out in the attachment, when I click on RunMe.bat it just opens ResBuild.exe which closes afterward quickly, What's wrong with it? also I see some texts.res are included in the archive, even when I drop them in either RunMe or ResBuild nothing is unpacked?!

The briefed2 works quite differently.
This is a Microsoft Access application (MS Access is a part of the MS Office).
When you click on RunMe.bat it starts MDB file (usually MS Access should be called to open it, which I suspect is not installed on your PC). Therefore you see the closing window.

If you edit RunMe.bat file as follows, you will see an error message:
Код:
start BriefEd.mdb
pause
exit

The briefed2 contains a complete database of the game "Evil Islands" with all pers/briefings and quest items.
This tool is intended for use by scenarist so they can "easily" design briefings.
it is possible to export briefings afterwards (replace existing with changed one) to text.res.    

The main problem in your case is that there is no way to import resources from "Lost in Astral" into this database.
Ответ
Jet,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 23:41 Написал:I will look into attachment.

In the meantime, you can try following approach:
  1. Goto http://svn.gipat.org/trac/EiEdit/wiki/Downloads and download EiEdit_1_8_2_13.exe
  2. Before install you have to change Windows language for non-unicode programs to "Russian (Russia)". (Otherwise you will have wrong characters instead of cyrillic. They should look the same as in my video.)
  3. Then try to follow the instruction that I've prepared for you: https://streamable.com/vzmm5
If you have any questions, please feel free to write here
[right][snapback]44100[/snapback][/right]

You sir are boss , very clean instructions there Big Grin

I had already figured it out by trial, I changed Unicode to Russian,then used EI editor to unpack texts.res and then I edited files with notepad Tongue then repacked them again,

but really those instructions are way better than keep opening each file in notepad, that was exhausting me.

I am going to replace what's already found in English in "the curse" to "lost in astral", then I will translate the conversations using google translator and try to figure out sensible conversations since translators are garbage in giving the correct meaning, then I will release it over here once I am done

By the way, is it possible to translate menus? I mean the ones found at the start of game or these are hard coded images? I am unable to found their corresponding files in texts.res

also is there anything else to be translated out of texts.res? videos for example although they are very few could use subtitles, let me know anyway.

Добавил: Usam [mergetime]1564523193[/mergetime]
Jet,Wednesday, 31 July 2019, 00:22 Написал:Looks like I've posted the previous answer too late..  :lol:
The briefed2 works quite differently.
This is a Microsoft Access application (MS Access is a part of the MS Office).
When you click on RunMe.bat it starts MDB file (usually MS Access should be called to open it, which I suspect is not installed on your PC). Therefore you see the closing window.

If you edit RunMe.bat file as follows, you will see an error message:
Код:
start BriefEd.mdb
pause
exit

The briefed2 contains a complete database of the game "Evil Islands" with all pers/briefings and quest items.
This tool is intended for use by scenarist so they can "easily" design briefings.
it is possible to export briefings afterwards (replace existing with changed one) to text.res.[attachment=2029]

The main problem in your case is that there is no way to import resources from "Lost in Astral" into this database.
[right][snapback]44101[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for clarifying, well that's not needed in the current time since I am only doing the translation part but its useful to know its use.
Ответ
Usam,Tuesday, 30 July 2019, 23:46 Написал:By the way, is it possible to translate menus? I mean the ones found at the start of game or these are hard coded images? I am unable to found their corresponding files in texts.res

also is there anything else to be translated out of texts.res? videos for example although they are very few could use subtitles, let me know anyway.
[right][snapback]44102[/snapback][/right]
autorun.res photos from starter
textures.res textures of backstab/critical attacks/getting exp
outro.res final credits/authors
menus.res photos from menu
voices sfx.res and speech.res
folder Movies
Ответ
Piter,Wednesday, 31 July 2019, 08:32 Написал:autorun.res  photos from starter
textures.res  textures of backstab/critical attacks/getting exp
outro.res      final credits/authors
menus.res    photos from menu
voices          sfx.res and speech.res
folder Movies
[right][snapback]44103[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, well I am translating it right now, I have some Russian friend and I'll see if he would help me to do it, I will release it as soon as I finish it.
Ответ
I got a site for translators. In theory it could be used for EI games/mods, too. (But it'd take some work to set up).
Anyway, EI games don't have a lot of text compared to, say, Fallout, so translating them shouldn't be much of a problem.
EItweaks - мелкие твики для сингла.
Ответ
Hey! Any news on the translation of Lost in Astral? I'd really like to play that but I can't understand Russian either. Any way I could possibly help, maybe?
Ответ
Nevermind, I'm actually all set up now (thanks to your publicly available discussions!). Got EiEdit, Eipacker and all that good stuff.

I'm working off of the unofficial Polish translation since half my family happens to be Polish and I'm hoping to get some help there. Copy pasting all of the script into deep translation software for now and then taking it from there.

1% considering to even redub the whole game but that's a really silly idea.

Keep you posted.
Ответ
Hey, thank you! I'm actually done already, though.

Here is the download: /updated version on the next page/

It's just the texts.res. Has to be copied into the res folder in the lost in astral game folder to replace the old one.

It does translate every single string of text in the game to English, but none of the textures, because the plugin to convert those from mmp to dds hosted in the download section of this forum got flagged as a virus by all my browsers so I didn't wanna take that chance.

Anyway, anyone is free to add onto this or use it as a basis for whatever. It's certainly not perfect but it should be good enough to play the game and understand what's going on.
Ответ
Update: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nQ_rOyS...sp=sharing

Notes:
Added proper versioning. This is now release 0.0.3
Fixed: Some character names were overwritten with Evil Islands character names.
Fixed: Some briefings were not yet translated.
Fixed: Removed trial message of the translation tool at the end of some texts.
Fixed: Consistent wording in initial skill configuration of party members.
Ответ

Перейти к форуму:

Пользователи, просматривающие эту тему: 1 Гость(ей)